University Grant Commission (UGC) has introduced a Post Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child with an aim to compensate direct costs of girl education to all levels especially for such girls who happen to be the only girl child in their family. The main objectives of this scholarship are to support post graduate education of single girl child in postgraduate courses only and to recognize the value of observance of small family norm.
Girl students without having any brother or the girl student who are twin daughters/ fraternal daughter may also apply for scholarship under the UGC Single Girl Child Scholarship Scheme. In a family if one son and one daughter is available then girl child will not be considered for scholarship under the UGC Single Girl Child Scholarship scheme.
- Total Fresh Scholarships Every Year: 3000 slots
- Age Limit: Girl students up to the age of 30 years at the time of admission in first year of PG courses are eligible for UGC Single Girl Child Scholarship
- The scheme is applicable to such single girl child who has taken admission in regular, full time first year Master’s Degree course in any designated university or a post graduate college.
- Admission to PG Course in Distance education mode is not covered under the scheme.
- Amount of fellowship: Rs.36,200/- p.a. for a period of two years only i.e. full duration of a PG course.